Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2018 10:29:36 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lightly loaded system eats swap space

(I am not subscribed to -stable, so please CC me, though I doubt I can
help in any way/shape/form past this Email)

Not the first time this has come up -- and every time it has, all that's
heard is crickets in the threads.  Recent proof:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-April/088727.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-April/088728.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-June/089094.html

I sent private mail to Peter Jeremy about his issue.  I will not
disclose that Email here.  However, I will disclose the commits I
included in said Email that have touched ZFS ARC-related code:

http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332785
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332552
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332540 (may help give insights)
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r330061
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r328235
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r327491
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r326619
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r326427 (quota-related, maybe irrelevant)
http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r323667

In short (and nebulous as hell; sorry, I cannot be more specific given
the nature of the problem): there have been changes about ZFS's memory
allocation/releasing decision-making scheme compared to ZFS on "older"
FreeBSD (i.e. earlier 11.x, and definitely 10.x and 9.x).

Recommendations like "limit your ARC" are nothing new in FreeBSD, but
are still ridiculous kludges: tech-lists' system clearly has 105GB MRU
(MRU = most recently used) in ARC, meaning there is memory that can be
released back to the rest of the OS for general use (re: memory
contention/pressure situation), but the OS is choosing to use swap
instead, eventually exhausting it.  That logic sounds broken, IMO.  (And
yes I did notice the size of bhyve process)

ZFS-related kernel folks need to be involved in this conversation.  For
whatever reason, in the past several years, related committers are no
longer participating in these type of discussions.  The opposite was
true back in the 7.x to 9.x days.  The answers have to come from them.
I don't know, today, a) how they prefer these problems get reported to
them, or b) what exact information they want that can help narrow it
down (tech-lists' provided data is, IMO, good and par for the course).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |