Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2019 05:45:27 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem burning DVD

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:09:20 -0400 (EDT), Chris Hill wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019, Polytropon wrote:
>
> [ big snip ]
>
> > Is there some description of what error codes like "Error 22", "0x16"
> > or "SK=4h/ASC=03h/ACQ=00h" mean?
>              ^^^^^^^
> The first thing that popped into my head was that 03h (alias 0x03) is
> the ASCii character ETX, meaning of course 'end of text.' Could there be
> some issue with the file you're writing from?

Interesting find! Yes, I remember the ASCII table's control
codes, and "ASC" could mean exactly that, "ASCII Code"; maybe
ACQ is "ASCII Queue"? And SK? No idea. I'd be interested if
there is a reference list somewhere that would explain the
codes and the values.

The "file" is a subdirectory containing the files for a DVD
(created with a script I wrote, which runs mencoder for file
conversion, creates the XML description for the DVD, then runs
dvdauthor, and finally growisofs), stored on a SSD, with no
further system activity.

Here is a "session hardcopy" of the last step I executed manually
(as this can easily be repeated):

$ growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video -r -J -udf dvd/
WARNING: /dev/dvd already carries isofs!
About to execute 'mkisofs -dvd-video -r -J -udf dvd/ | builtin_dd of=/dev/pass0 obs=32k seek=0'
Warning: Disabling Joliet support for DVD-Video.
Setting input-charset to 'ISO8859-1' from locale.
The pad was 26 for file VIDEO_TS.IFO
  1.15% done, estimate finish Sat Jun 22 09:02:30 2019
  2.30% done, estimate finish Sat Jun 22 09:02:30 2019
  3.45% done, estimate finish Sat Jun 22 09:02:30 2019
/dev/pass0: "Current Write Speed" is 16.4x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT]: Invalid argument
:-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
:-( write failed: Invalid argument
$ _

Of course the medium is not formatted (it's an unused, therefore
completely empty DVD+R). But "unsupported"? Maybe this particular
drive doesn't like the brand? But I also tried a different one,
and in the past, I _did_ once successfully burn a DVD (of the same
brand!) with that particular drive, sonething not totally uncommon:
My father's Dell laptop doesn't like one specific brand of DVDs
to record, but works fully as expected with a different brand.
Other drives seem to be picky about DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW
which is also confusing for people. :-)

My "solution" was to scp dvd/ over to my home PC and use _that_ to
burn the files - same kind of medium, worked without problems.

Sadly, I don't have a spare "slot-in" optical unit for the R61i,
so it would be interesting to see if a different drive would lead
to a change of results...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany