Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:30:03 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multi-volume archives

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

Dear Colleagues,

Which is now the most convenient way to create multi-volume archives? To
fit an archive on a FAT32 flash drive, a volume size should not exceed 4g.=
=20

I have traditionally used "tar | split" to pack, then "cat | tar" to
unpack. But split is very slow, and generally this way is clumsy.

I don't want to use "zip -s" either, because I think zip does not
preserve symlinks, hardlinks, permissions... to cut a long story short,
I don't believe in zip as a Unix archiver.

Any more ideas?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/