Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:58:08 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        bv@wjv.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new rc.network6 and rc.firewall6

> The scripts themselves have the ordering dependencies.  The startup
> system runs them in the proper order.  I don't know if this is
> pre-computed or redone each boot.

I'm really curious about this, myself.  One of the reasons the SYSV
scripts have the numeric prefix is so that you know exactly what order
things will be started in.  With the NetBSD stuff, this is not
immediately obvious though I guess one could have a top level rc file
with an explicit ordering similar to our various subdir Makefiles,
but that also gives you another location to edit when dropping
in a new startup file.

- Jordan