Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 20:14:29 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rogue's Gallery of packages that don't add

Just so everyone knows what I'm doing: Every time it comes time to do
the disc2 (all one time so far :-)  I chroot to what's essentially
a complete system extracted into a directory.  Then I mount the
packages collection into the chrooted area and do a:

	for i in *.tgz; do pkg_add $i; done

To add each and every package, giving you a /usr/local and /usr/X11R6
from hell on the second CD with everything that can be extracted,
extracted.

Naturally, we rarely run such tests so the "bad packages" get pointed
up pretty quickly.  Here are my results.  If you see a package of
yours in this list, please check your packing list!  The extra work at
this stage will certainly pay off in making the packages collection
look a lot more professional and not get us (you!) lots of tech
support questions sent to ports complaining..  Also, since showing
*all* the spew for a given package failure would make this a 2MB
message, I'll just include the first 3 lines or so of each failure.
Don't be fooled into thinking that the failure is a minor one just
because I've clipped it!

Rogus's Gallery:

ImageMagick-3.6.2.tgz:

tar: can't add file /usr/X11R6/lib/libMagick.a : No such file or directory
tar:  not found in archive
tar: can't add file /usr/X11R6/include/X11/magick/magick.h : No such file or directory

bcc-95.3.12.tgz:
chmod: bin/as86: No such file or directory
chmod: bin/ld86: No such file or directory
chmod: bin/bcc: No such file or directory

chimera-1.65.tgz:
chmod: lib/cacheinfo: No such file or directory
chmod: lib/convert: No such file or directory
chmod: lib/help.html: No such file or directory

chimera-1.65.tgz:
chmod: lib/cacheinfo: No such file or directory
chmod: lib/convert: No such file or directory
chmod: lib/help.html: No such file or directory

dvi2xx-0.51a9.tgz:
chmod: man/man1/dvi2xx.1: No such file or directory
Couldn't change modes of 'man/man1/dvi2xx.1 ' to '644'.
chown: man/man1/dvi2xx.1: No such file or directory
Couldn't change owner of 'man/man1/dvi2xx.1 ' to 'bin'.

fvwm-1.24r.tgz:
Two sets of errors:

Warning:  xpm package is not installed.  You should install the xpm-3.4e
package as well before attempting to use this fvwm distribution.

(This is totally wrong - there's supposed to be a dependency for this!
 That might explain a few things..)

And:

chmod: bin/fvwm: No such file or directory
chmod: bin/xpmroot: No such file or directory
Couldn't change modes of 'bin/fvwm bin/xpmroot ' to '755'.
chown: bin/fvwm: No such file or directory

I think we can safely say that the fvwm package is kinda broken.

gmp-1.3.2.tgz:
ranlib: lib/libgmp.a: No such file or directory
Command 'ranlib lib/libgmp.a' failed.
ranlib: lib/libmp.a: No such file or directory

<And it's right here that my machine crashed for the first time in
6 months [see previous postings about Murphy] so I'll leave you guys
with this list until I can pick this up where it left off>

					Jordan