Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:21:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make does nothing building kernel

Hi folks,

I have a 3.3-STABLE (circa 17 Nov 1999) box that I'm upgrading to
3.4-STABLE from freshly supped sources.

Using the same kernel config file as before, I do the following:

	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf && \
	config -rg MYKERN && \
	cd ../../compile/MYKERN && \
	make depend && \
	make && \
	make install

This produces the following unexpected error:

	You must first build your kernel before trying to install.
	*** Error code 1

The only binary object in the directory is genassym.o.  Running the
commands manually simply confirms that the ``make'' command is returning
immediately with no output and having done (apparently) nothing.

I'm sure I've seen this asked and answered here before, but can't find
it in the FAQ, nor in the kernel config section of the handbook.

TIA
Sheldon.