Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:24:20 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS/RAIDZ and SAMBA: abyssimal performance

On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:19 PM, O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> =
wrote:

> Am 01/04/13 15:45, schrieb Garrett Cooper:
>> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd> wrote:
>>=20
>>=20
>>> And this is under [global] in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf:
>>>   min receivefile size =3D 16384
>>>   aio read size =3D 16384
>>>   aio write size =3D 16384
>>>   aio write behind =3D yes
>>=20
>> These are still pretty low, depending on what your networking/disk
>> setup is like; my important performance settings are:
>>=20
>>        socket options =3D SO_RCVBUF=3D64240 SO_SNDBUF=3D64240 =
TCP_NODELAY
>> IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
>>        write cache size =3D 65536
>>        aio read size =3D 65536
>>        aio write size =3D 65536
>>        directory name cache size =3D 0
>>=20
>> HTH,
>> -Garrett
> Well, now I have peak values ~ 120 MB/s when copying. I applied =
Fleuriot
> Damien's values to /boot/loader.conf and yours to the smb.conf.
> Somewhere in the handbook this should be documented! it is to much
> efford to get SAMBA working properly with ZFS, if the tricks and
> problems are so widespread over several architectural aspects of the =
system.
>=20
> It could save a lot of time for adminsitartors and those which try
> FreeBSD as a serving system instead of Linux.
>=20
> Just for the record. I feel a bit confused about all the tricks and
> tweak now "published" for ZFS, its magic L2ARC, the kernel_vmem =
wizzardy
> thingis. The ZFS Wiki seems to be a bit outdated and confusing, it =
would
> be a great deal if all these things could be lined up a s a primer =
with
> a bit more explanations than "put this number there".
>=20
> And by the way, it is like changing from hell to heaven having now ~ =
100
> MB/s throughput compared to ~1/500!
>=20
> Thanks a lot,
> Oliver
>=20

The problem, Oliver, is that these values are system dependant.

Notice how Garret replied that these values are a bit low (and they =
might be indeed !).

However, while you have 16gb RAM, my ZFS NAS only has 4gb.

Basically and as Jeremy Chadwick pointed out at the time, there is no =
one set of correct values for 100% of the population.

One has to adjust them step by step and decide what is best for them.

@garret: I'll try with the values you posted, although I get =
90-120mbytes/s most of the time so I pretty much saturate my 1gbs link.