Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:10:55 +1100
From:      BSD Freak <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A modern BSD UNIX workgroup - how would you do it?

I have an upcoming project to create a modern UNIX (mainly
FreeBSD-based) workgroup computing environment.

If _YOU_ had your chance to do it from scratch, what technologies would
you use? Basically only following are set in stone. Everything else is
up to me:

1. Centralised user/password/account management
2. 2-3 file servers running FreeBSD, 1 mail server and 1 VPN gateway
also running FreeBSD
3. Workstations will be 75% FreeBSD and 25% Mac OS X 10.2

Most people I have spoken to automatically say NIS/NFS. Although I know
that NIS/NFS is a tried and true combination, I can't help but feel
there must be a better way to do a modern BSD UNIX environment. As silly
as it may sound I am seriously thinking about running Samba for file
sharing services even though this is a fully UNIX environment.
Reasons for this include excellent performance on FreeBSD and better
security than NFS.

Some of the other authentication/account management technologies I'm
evaluating include LDAP and Kerberos. Any and comments/suggestions would
be very well received...

Basically what I'm asking is if you could do it all over from scratch
how would you do a modern BSD UNIX workgroup?