Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:33:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Bernhard Froehlich" <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        "Jonathan" <jonathan@kc8onw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Virtualbox and VRDP

On Mon, September 14, 2009 3:00 am, Jonathan wrote:
> I just installed virtualbox on my server without X11 support intending
> to run it headless and now I find that the Virtual Remote Display
> Protocol support is only available in the closed source version.  The
> virtualbox Editions page says that some of the closed source features
> may eventually become available in the open source version as well, has
> anyone heard anything about this happening for VRDP?
>
> Are there any other options that would allow me to set up a VM remotely
> without installing X?  I suppose I could set up a VM locally and then
> copy it to my server once it's configured for remote ssh access but that
> would involve copying several GB over the internet, a rather slow
> process on my connection.

You can setup your virtual machine with VBoxManage but installing a system
in it is rather painful without GUI. The way you described is my preferred
at the moment but you could also install with X11 and use VBoxSDL and X11
forwarding.

I've talked to the vbox developers and they don't think that the RDP code
will be put opensource in the foreseeable future. That's a pity because in
combination with vboxweb [0] which is a python web interface to vbox that
includes a Flash based RDP client this would be a great headless solution.

[0] http://code.google.com/p/vboxweb/

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/