Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:00:51 -0800
From:      ray@redshift.com
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   performance modifications

Hi,

  I'm wondering if anyone on the list has a good source for the major sysctl
settings and/or kernel settings that can be modified in order to bring up the
performance level on a FreeBSD 5.3 machine that is used with apache under heavy
load.

I've done all the common stuff:

recompiled the kernel and stripped out unused drivers
strip -s kernel file
maxusers -> 256
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
kern.ipc.somaxconn=1024

But I'm wondering if there are other areas (such as hard drive r/w buffers in
the kernel and/or memory allocation) that can be readily increased that will
have a positive impact which I am over looking.

Any other areas I should be looking at and/or any ideas?

Thanks!

Ray