Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:44:16 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Data mirroring, how to do it?

[I have searched the FAQ and the handbook, but find no info on this subject.]

We have had two complete crashes in one of our production servers in the
last half year. We have good cpio-backups, that's not a problem. But even
if restoring is easy, it's slow. About half an hour to reinstall the
system and 2,5 hours to restore the tape. And all work done since the
nightly backup is lost.

So we are interested in some kind of data-mirroring to minimize stops
and data-loss.

Either in hardware or software. Possibly another machine that is
regularly updated and ready to plug in. Another machine would give
me the advantage of having completely free hands while restoring
the crashed server, but how do I keep the backup updated at all
times? Complete mirroring could be given up in this case, maybe
hourly updates are enough.

We could probably find the money to buy great big servers with this
built-in if we have to, but we'd like to investigate the cheaper
options first. And even if we buy big servers, they have to be
compatible with FreeBSD and what servers/mirroring technology
would I have to use to get compatibility?

I'm hoping to get some feedback from the FreeBSD community on this matter.
How to do it, what to do it with and so on. Advantages and drawbacks with
different methods. Everything a complete beginner in the field of
data mirroring needs to know :)

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson   pol@leissner.se