Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 15:28:03 -0400
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Joe Gleason <clash@tasam.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quota bug crashing system?

At 10:24 AM 8/8/98 -0700, Tom wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Joe Gleason wrote:
>
>> >  Crash how?  I only remove stale home directories every couple of months.
>>
>> I'm not sure, the system is always at my ISP, so I am never looking at it
>> when it happens.  It seems like a kernel panic.
>
>  What make you think quotas are doing this, and not something like
>hardware?

Speaking of quotas, maybe someone can enlighten me on a quota
related issue: it seems that (at least as some 6 months or so ago),
2.2 didn't correctly handle SUID programs.  e.g. if a SUID root
process has done setuid() (whichever flavor) to some less privileged
UID, the original (root) quota continues to apply.  This is arguably
a bug.  From what I can tell looking at the code, the decision about
whether an allocation request exceeds quota is done by looking at a
token which was set up much earlier in the game (and doesn't seem to
be updated based on changing of the current UID).  I got burned by this
when I tried to use quotas on a /var/mail filesystem to enforce a per
user limit for mailboxes.  I opened a PR way back when I discovered
this, and it seems to have gone into the bit bucket :(