Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:27:07 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        <johnhoover@home.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DHCP config question

Syntax perhaps? Looks like you have extra spaces in rc.conf on hostname line:
hostname = "pcp608860pcs.rthfrd01.tn.comcast.net"

...if that is an exact copy...

At 11:20 AM 1.16.2002 -0600, John Hoover wrote:

>Finally converted from static IP to DHCP to make Comcast happy.
>
>Ok, Here's my question, setup seems ok, resolv.conf being updated
>correctly, route tables, ifconfig looks right, but it's not setting
>my hostname. Other words, the hostname command returns an empty string.
>Anybody got any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>John Hoover
>johnhoover@home.com
>
>Relevant setup stuff
>
>FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #1: Sun Dec 23 18:01:29 CST 2001
>
>/etc/rc.conf
>hostname = "pcp608860pcs.rthfrd01.tn.comcast.net"
>ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
>dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"
>dhcp_flags=""
>
>/etc/dhclient.conf
>script "/sbin/dhclient-script";
>interface "ed0" {
>        send host-name "pcp608860pcs";
>        request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>                domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
>        require host-name;
>}

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"