Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:44:32 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        byron@omix.com (Byron Brummer), freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Converting text files

At 19:58 14-03-1999 -0800, you wrote:
>	What's there to learn?

I did not say there was anything to learn. I was replying to a message that
said there was new syntax to learn with tuc. There isn't. (All you do is
"tuc infile outfile", or "dosprogram | tuc | unixprogram".)

At any rate, I did not mean to start a big discussion about what is easier
or better, and what is not. That, after all, is relative. As I said, I
thought I was talking to the maintainer of the FAQ, and simply wanted to
let him/her/them know there was an alternative. That's all, really. :-)

By the way, tuc does not just strip carriage returns. It uses a state
machine, so it converts files of all commonly used conventions to the Unix
convention: cr, cr/lf, cr/lf/lf... (for more than one line - I have seen
files like that), lf/cr, and lf alone (of course the latter does not need
to be converted). Also, since it is written in ANSI C, it can be compiled
to run both on Unix and DOS/Windows (or anything else that has an ANSI
compiler), so it has the convenience of using the same command on both
systems for people who use them.

I wrote it for my own use when I first got started with FreeBSD several
months ago, and simply offered it as an option for others because I wanted
to give something back.

I am still fairly new to FreeBSD. So please bear with me if I used the
wrong chanel.

Adam