Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:35:40 +0000
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd for ISP Resources.

Hello all.

I'm sorry in advance if this question sound too stupid for some of you. :)

I'm a convinced converted FreeBSD user. I have been using it since a year
with version 2.5 and now with 3.1. I'm a little ISP and I'm only using my
boxes as web servers of our web pages. That's because I have find very hard
to understand and manage some things in this environment. As an example of
this I haven't give FTP access to other users but me there because I don't
know how to restrict space to FTP users and restrict them to their
directory only. I know this  is something basic but at least to me that
came from other OS has been a hard change. I really like the system and in
fact my FreeBSD boxes are the only ones that always work and never had a
problem with them and that's great but I would like to have more
information on how todo do things for ISP daily activities. Another example
is that since my email runs on other systems it took me a lo t of time find
how to disable SMTP services because my system was used for relay for some
spammers. So When I was told about this from an anti spammer organization I
spend lot of time finding how to do that. Anyway some basic things are hard
to do but when I learn how then it is the best solution (no matter my
partener says his NT or MAcintosh servers are better because they are more
expensive).....

Do you know of some books or resources on the web (or not) where I can
learn how to do things for ISP services specifically. ?. Once, in another
list someone pointed me to this book from Cricket Liu,  "Managing Internet
Information Services" they said that explain all this in Unix environment
but unfortunattely the book is out of print and I have been looking it
since January in Amazon B&N and a lot others without success.

Could you give me your advice on resources to learn this?.
Or maybe do you have the book and would you like to sell it to me? ;)

Thanks in advance.

Jbiquez