Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:35:34 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:45:22 PST, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Sheldon, I think you have a go to change the newfs default.  Do it!

Hi Matt,

I already have patches for newfs, sysinstall and the tuning(7) manual
page which simply make 16384/2048 the default.

However, I remember people expressing concerns with using these parameters
for very small filesystems.

I can't find any negative performance impact for very small filesystems.

The only other thing I can think of is what obrien suggested.  He told
me that it might be that people are wary of a filesystem that contains
only a single cylinder group, as this means you only have one
superblock.

Is this really something to worry about?  Is there some other reason why
we shouldn't just make 16384/2048 the blanket default?

Ciao,
Sheldon.