Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 17:11:35 -0600
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nt outperforms Linux for web/file server?

I know this is a FreeBSD list, but this will probably be of interest to
people here anyway. Has anyone seen Microsoft's report on the
independant study that was done on the performance of NT vs Linux?
According to their charts, graphs etc, NT blew Linux away in both file
server and web server performance. I bring this up because unless there
is a serious performance difference between Linux and FreeBSD, these
test results would probably apply to FreeBSD as well..

I think the test was done by PC Magazine (hardly independant in my way
of thinking since they recieve big advertising $ from Microsoft.). My
question is this: What did PC Magazine do to the poor Linux box in order
to manipulate the test results in this manner? I can't see how these
results could possibly have been obtained using fair testing. Did they
compile the biggest, most bloate kernel they possibly could for Linux?
Did they optimize the kernel for a 386? They had to have done something.
There is simply no way these tests could be valid if the test was done
in a fair and unbiased manner.

Here is the web page where this article is located:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/exec/compares/ntlinux.asp

I guess the good news to this is that Microsoft wouldn't be publishing
this article if they weren't a little nervous that Linux and to a lesser
extent, FreeBSD are starting to erode their stronghold on the server
market.