Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:15:37 -0500
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@mail.mexcom.net>
To:        PrografX <vorchak@redrose.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP troubles, over and over again.

PrografX wrote:

>  I'm having headache type problems with FTPing BSD off of ftp.freebsd.org or
> any mirror.  Basically, I think it might be me (WHAT AND NOT BE PERFECT?),
> but I have had help with trying to get this resolved to no avail.
>
> I can get all the way to logging into my ISP, back to a "ppp ON mymach>"
> type of prompt (mymach is not actually the host name I use, just i.e.) but I
> have not been able to get "PPP ON mymach>"  Could it have anything to do
> with the configuration setup for Hostname, DNS, etc. ?  Or is it something
> else?  Any ideas would be appreciated, I do plan to write a small "FreeBSD
> setup for dummies" type of on-line book after I'm done, so that all will be
> converted, but I think that actually setting the OS up first may be in
> order!
>
> Alan Vorchak
> PrografX

I'm having the same problem and was deciding whether to come to the list
with it
when I read your mail.  I've tried it with both current snap and
2.2-RELENG snap
with the same results.  I can't maintain ppp for more than a few
seconds. I also
have had times that I can't seem to reach the modem on cuaa0 to even
dial.  I put
it on another machine with current snap and the modem works fin, ppp
works fine.
This test is the same modem same cable and without configuring
differently but
not with the boot floppy.

Thanks

Ed