Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:45:06 -0400
From:      Allen Louden <alouden@access.mountain.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with latest ppp

> > DType `show log' or check out /var/log/ppp.log.

Doug,
I did the above and nothing.

> Okay, that explains it.  The older versions would do like a tail -10 on
> the ppp log and display it.  What does /var/log/ppp.log report?

I also did the above and nothing is in the file.

This weekend I took drastic measures and did a complete reinstall (I
knew of no other way to get the old ppp) I was then able to see the
results of ppp actions in ppp_tun.log. (No help yet, but still trying)

So, I then installed the latest ppp from Brian and made the necessary
adjustments to;

1.) etc/group added group network and placed myself in it
2.) changed syslog.conf accordingly by adding the line;
!ppp
*.*                                     /var/log/ppp.log
3.) changed set debug to set log
4.) did hup and reboot just to be sure

All to no avail, I get no information in ppp.log and on boot I get an
error message that states;
sylogd:unknown priority name "".

Now, when I take the line ( !ppp                  /var/log/ppp.log )
from syslog.conf, I get no error on boot. I still get no info in
ppp.log, but I assume its because I am not using the old.

I hope this has been clear enough.
thanks
Allen