Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 1997 15:55:43 -0800
From:      Steve McNatt <stevie@discover.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Manual Install of Ports

I recently downloaded Netscape 4.03 for FreeBSD (the xxxxx.tar.gz file).

When I follow the directions in the handbook (use the makefile and
installation scripts on CDROM 2.2.2b and run them with the .tar.gz file
downloaded from ftp.netscape.com, I don't seem to be able to
successfully complete the installation.  I get an error 1 message and
a suggestion to copy the appropriate part of the sub-tree on CDROM 2
to /usr/local/ports/distfiles.  That is what I just did and it didn't
work.  What am I doing wrong, or is there a problem with the
installation files and/or scripts?

A 2nd quick question: I have an Acculogic ISApport scsi-2 adapter with
an NCR 53C406A chip with on-board ROM (currently at the default of
D8000h).  Is there another device driver on the CDROM that I could
use, or are there any new drivers available on the net?

Sincerely,

Steve McNatt

P.S.  I am working toward my CNE for NW 4.11 / IntraNW 1.0 and have had
a few jobs already where there was at least one unix X-Server that
needed to be integrated into the "new" Novell network and wasn't able to
do it.  I am fairly very new to unix but not a "newbie" so the info
requested above can't be too complex.  Thanks

too complex
to Unix systems so I may not