Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:44:52 GMT
From:      Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de (Joachim Wunder)
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on detect fix for Hauppauge FI1236 MK2 Tuner Cards

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:42:12 -0500, you wrote:

>     Last weekend, I was helping set my brother up with his new Hauppauge
>Win/TV (bought in TX at Fry's) in FreeBSD.  He'd tried before, but just got
>trash.  Not being an experienced FreeBSDer (yet), he didn't know what the
>problem was and just put it aside.
>
>     I noticed that the latest bt848 driver detected the tuner as a "Temic
>PAL" tuner, which surprised me and pointed to the culprit.  I booted into
>MSW95 to find that it's actually a:

I have exactly the same problem, but I am in Germany and have a 405 Model with
PAL B/G tuner...

>     Phillips FI1236 MK2

I have a FI1216 MK2 and it was wrongly detected as "Temic PAL" tuner, too! :(

>NTSC & PAL combo tuner.  Knowing this, I defeated the detection with:
>
>     # #define PHILIPS_FR1236_NTSC     9

I chose a ´5´ here for Philips_PAL

>     options OVERRIDE_TUNER=9

´5´ again I chose...

>in the kernel config file, and get him up-and-running.

I got it up and running now, too, but I desperately cannot get any sound out of
it. :( But I have a MSP 3400C stereo on the card and the freebsd-driver detects
it correctly as this type, but still no sound out of it. :((( Did you have
similar problems and solved them already?

>     Having worked with the driver a bit, I had a handle on how to work
>around this problem, but I imagine new FreeBSD users with these new cards
>are more likely to just give up and think their card isn't supported.
>
>     Just thought I'd post though and ask what the status was on fixing the
>detection for these tuners.  (Is the obstacle having one of these in the
>hands of someone driver-savy?  Lack of eeprom contents?  signature?  i2c?)

I am not quite sure, too, but do you happen to have a card with a S-VHS input on
the backpanel, too?

>Thanks,
>
>Randall

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Thanks for any hint why I still can´t get no sound out of this beasty card,
Joachim
--
Email: Joachim.Wunder@LRZ-Muenchen.DE