Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 11:44:26 GMT
From:      Joachim.Wunder@lrz-muenchen.de (Joachim Wunder)
To:        Ian Freislich <iang@digs.iafrica.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on detect fix for Hauppauge FI1236 MK2 Tuner Cards

On Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:35:53 +0200, you wrote:

>> I got it up and running now, too, but I desperately cannot get any
>> sound out of it. :( But I have a MSP 3400C stereo on the card and the
>> freebsd-driver detects it correctly as this type, but still no sound
>> out of it. :((( Did you have similar problems and solved them already?
>
>I have a similar problem. The problem is that here is no code to
>initialise the MSP340x chip, or the code isn't being run. This chip
>does FM and NICAM stereo decoding and spacial sound processing and
>mixing digitally (have a look at the data sheet). Because all the
>audio from the tuner is routed through this chip, not having it
>initialised correctly presents quite a problem if you're interested
>in hearing anything.
>
>My C and understanding of the driver is not good enough to fix the
>problem, so I boot into windows and run WinTV to initialise the
>MSP3401 on my card and then warm-boot into FreeBSD. This isn't such
>a problem because I hardly ever turn my computer off and subsequent
>reboots don't do a hardware reset.

Yup, thatīs it! This kind of ad-hoc method works here, too! Even I have a real
MSP 3400C. I looked it up on the card directly, too, to verify it...

Hmmm...so we only need now a friendly person who modifies the driver a bit. :)
My C-experiences arenīt well enough, too, I think. :-o

>-- igf (Ian Freislich)
>http://copernicus.cpt.tech.iafrica.com/

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Thanks for this worthful hint,
Joachim