Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 07:40:33 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A name, please!

As many of you know, we are going to mount a FreeBSD+Apache effort to
challenge the SPECweb96 (http://www.specbench.org) benchmark on June
26-28. We're going to hold it in Berkeley and make it a real media
circus. History of BSD, the Freeware Movement, etc., etc., etc. We'll
get national exposure for it, and we'll create some of our own. What the
event will be is basically a publicly staged run of the benchmark, with
big-screen videos and live 'net feeds and the whole 9 yds. We'll have a
10' high "thermometer" that will visibly show the results in lights as
our numbers climb.

The goal of the project is exposure and positive press for FreeBSD in
particular and Apache and other freeware in general. It is not going to
be a 'bash Microsoft' or 'bash Linux' or anything else; we'll take the
high road. The press will make comparisons and grind their own axen for
us. Our goal is to legitimize FreeBSD in the public's mind, and they're
ripe for it because they hate MS and they've heard about this Linux
thingie and now it's time to show them where the real true power of
freeware lies.

I need a catchy name for the event. SuperPowerFreewareFest doesn't quite
do it...

--> Don