Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:21:27 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [SPECweb] secret architectural discussion - shhh!

I'm making this response public because I want my change in direction to
be clear to all of you. While Jordan and David have not said we cannot
win such a challenge as SPECweb with the proper equipment and
preparation, they are counselling a more patient approach that does not
require megabuck hardware and a dice roll, which is what a media whoopee
like I suggested would be. As somebody else has suggested here ( -chat )
in the last hour, look at what Billy Boy's flop has cost him this last
month. We can't afford a public embarrassment like that. Although it
would've been a blast to set such a rocketfest up, the gamble is a very
large one and failure would burn too many bridges.

Jordan has suggested articles for the popular press as a Really Good
Thing, and I agree. I have a good one in the back of my mind and I have
done professional writing in a previous incarnation, so this is what I
will concentrate on as my primary focus.

I also have the capability to generate four-color artwork which is
acceptable to commercial printers for those of you who are working on
mousemats and stickers. Make a TIFF file and send it to me and I can
professionalize it for you to take to a specialty house. We have such
here in LA if somebody wants to pay for it, and there are several
commercial houses out in the sticks which will be cheaper and which will
ship to us if we get a decent order together.

Thirdly, I'd still like to get together and meet the FreeBSD team
members and the BAFUG, so I'd like to suggest a Gathering up in your
neck of the woods that weekend (6/27-28) where you all will share your
experiences of USENIX and its first FreeNix track. I'll buy pizza for
everybody, although those of you who attend virtually will have to have
virtual pepperoni!

Again, thanks for all the help and commentary, and I'm sorry if I am now
dashing hopes. Grand Dreaming is fun, but hard work is more profitable.

--> Don