Date:      Sun, 03 May 1998 16:00:16 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcaljm@utrc.utc.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, metcalf@snet.net
Subject:   Re: kern/4498

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <199804262309.RAA28247@pluto.plutotech.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" write
> s:
> >>Synopsis: Files corrupted when written to Iomega Zip 100 on ProAudioStudio SCS
> >>
> >>State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> >>State-Changed-By: phk
> >>State-Changed-When: Sun Apr 26 10:47:53 PDT 1998
> >>State-Changed-Why:
> >>The PAS16 scsi-port is a piece of junk which you shouldn't
> >>use for anything but slow old cd-rom drives
> >
> >That's a sorry excuse for closing the bug.
>
> No, the controller is literally made to drive read-only devices, and
> the bug is not easily fixed.  It also uses PIO synchrous to the async
> SCSI bus, so you are limited to 600-700 kbyte/sec, but your cpu will
> not have any time to spend dealing intelligently with the data.
>
> But I can send you a card if you want to spend time on it...
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
> phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
> "ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal

Hi Poul-Henning,

Since you seem to be knowledgeable about the failings of the PAS SCSI
adapter,
I was wondering if you would tell me what you think about my current
setup.

I was the one who originally reported the bug, kern/4498.  Before I
heard
from you on closing this bug, I went ahead and bought a ZIP-ZOOM SCSI
card.
It was only about $50 US.  It has an AIC-6360 (fully Adaptec 1520
compatible)
chipset.  It has the following specs:

Data transfer      : 8 or 16 bit transfer
Host transfer rate : 3MB/sec
SCSI transfer rates: 2MB/sec (Asynchronous)
                     5MB/sec (Synchronous)

Since the IOMEGA ZIP SCSI can't operate faster than a say 1.5MB/sec, I
feel this
is more than adequate.

The ZIP seems to work well in FreeBSD with the 'aic' device driver.  It
also works well
in WinNT and Win95.

A question I have is this.

I attached an IBM 7208/011 SCSI-2 8mm tape drive to the adapter.  It is
actually
made by Exabyte.  It seems to work extremely well from WinNT, but causes
the
following error upon bootup on FreeBSD:

aic at line 2308:
    unexpected bus free state
    Panic
    Panic for historical reasons.

The machine proceeds to reboot.  When I try it on the PAS-16, the system
doesn't
reboot, but errors result and the tape drive is not detected.

Here's what I'm asking if you have any ideas of:

1.  Is it something proprietary in the IBM (Exabyte) 7208/011 that's
causing the
    problem or is it a limitation of the aic device driver?  Recall it
works fine
    from NT.

2.  Asuming there is no problem with the AIC-6360 or the aic driver, am
I correct
    in concluding that most SCSI tape drives are slow so that having a
better
    adapter JUST for the ZIP and tape drive would be pointless?

Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,

JM
--