Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 05:03:18 +0530
From:      Sanjit Roy <fiber@phy.iitkgp.ernet.in>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   how safe is FreeBSD 2.2.5

I need some advise regarding the security level in FreeBSD. Lately, a
lot of students in my university campus have been into hacking activity.
I have a Linux (kernel 1.2.8) system on one of my mail gateways and it's
a piece of cake becoming 'root' on that machine. I immediately need to
upgrade that to either REDHAT Linux 5.0 or FreeBSD 2.2.5. I have both
the flavours of unix available with me.

What I want to know is :

1. which of the two is more secure?
2. Is shadow util really effective in Linux. Don't know if there's one
in FreeBSD?
3. what do i have to do/install to make my system secure i.e, what are
the available patches and where do i get them?

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Sanjit.
fiber@phy.iitkgp.ernet.in