Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:10:40 -0400
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <geoffr@globalserve.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Book Suggestions

It's really amazing I used M$ operating systems for over 10 years and never
did anything useful with them. Decided to get FreeBSD about 6 months ago
because I wanted to learn UNIX and now I'm doing all sorts of neat stuff.

Anyway, this brings me to the point: I'm getting really serious about some
projects I've been working on recently and I need some help finding
resources. I've heard many book suggestions the last few months and I did
some searching on www.amazon.com and came up with a moderate list that
seems to cover everything I need to learn. All to often though I get books
that don't apply to the OS and/or development tools I'm using or don't go
into enough technical detail.  I need to learn shared memory programming,
how to write daemon processes, socket programming (all in C), networks
security and basic stuff about how UNIX works. The list of books I've found
follows. It would be very helpful to me if I could get some comments about
these books, how well they apply to FreeBSD and if they contain the
information I'm looking for. Suggestions for better books would be helpful
too.

Halting the Hacker : A Practical Guide to Computer Security by Donald L.
Pipkin

Practical Unix and Internet Security by Simson Garfinkel and Gene Spafford

Unix System Security Essentials by Christoph Braun, and Siemens Nixdorf

Interprocess Communications in Unix: The Nooks and Crannies by John Shapley
Gray

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment  W. Richard Stevens

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols by W. Richard Stevens

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2: The Implementation by  W. Richard Stevens

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 3: Tcp for Transactions, Http, Nntp, and the
Unix Domain Protocols by
W. Richard Stevens

The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System by Keith
Bostic

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Geoffrey Robinson