Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 19:35:37 -0800
From:      Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SKIP and NAT on tun0?

Has anyone been able to make SKIP and NAT work on the same interface?

My gateway machine has ed1 (192.168.1.2) and tun0. I want to run SKIP on
tun0 on the gateway machine to protect traffic to certain hosts, and to
run NAT on tun0 to give the hosts on ed1 connectivity.

When I start ppp, SKIP and natd on the gateway, but before I add the
divert rule with ipfw, the gateway machine can get anywhere, but the
other hosts on the local network can't get past the gateway (of course).
When I add the divert rule, the other hosts on the local network can get
anywhere, even to remote hosts that require SKIP, but the gateway itself
can only get to hosts that don't require SKIP. It's forwarding just
fine, even with SKIP, but perhaps somehow natd is improperly rewriting
incoming SKIP packets destined for the gateway itself.

In other words, before adding the divert rule:

gateway			local hosts
-------			-----------
+local			+local
+remote-noskip		-remote-noskip (of course)
+remote-skip		-remote-skip (of course)

After adding the divert rule:

gateway			local hosts
-------			-----------
+local			+local
+remote-noskip		+remote-noskip
-remote-skip		+remote-skip

Tcpdump shows that the SKIP packets are going out, and being returned by
the remote host, but being dropped by SKIP; skipstat's dropped packet
count increases and skiplog complains about the remote host trying to
connect with 'cleartext' instead of 'SKIP V2'.

I'm starting ppp and natd like this:

ppp -auto provider
natd -interface tun0 -dynamic -unregistered_only
ipfw add divert natd ip from any to any via tun0
ipfw add allow all from any to any

2.2.6-STABLE as of May or so.

Anybody have an answer (Archie?)?

Thanks in advance.