Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:39:32 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Jay Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange tagged openings error msg

Jay Nordwick wrote:

> I just installed a snapshot dated around November 20 and I just saw this
> message pop up duing some heavy disk operation:
>
> Nov 27 01:36:25 beastie /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 64
> Nov 27 01:36:25 beastie /kernel: (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): tagged openings now 64
>
> (yes, repeated)  I have an AIC7880 onboard SCSI chip and a pair of IBM
> Barracuda drives.  Softupdates were not running at the time.  I was rm'ing
> /usr/ports so it was some heavy disk spinning it sounded like.  There
> didn't appear to be any system instabilites.
>
> What does this error message mean?  Is there a problem?
> thanks,

Hmmm... Barracuda = Seagate no? - Anyway, it's not an error - it's
informational, it tells you how many commands the hard drive can have queued
at any one time... e.g. on my system I get:

caladan /kernel: (da7:ahc1:0:0:0): tagged openings now 15

When my rather ageing Quantum ProDrive gets hammered...

It's harmless, but informative... <G>

Regards,

Karl