Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 15:46:34 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting dos fs, mkdev

Thomas Good wrote:

> Just got BSD up and going...

:-)

> I am currently stuck in the following areas:
>
> 1)  I do not have mtools installed yet...how may I get the tarball
> off of a floppy and onto my system?  Can FreeBSD read a system V fs?
> Should I stick with a dos formatted floppy (how can I mount it?).

As root ``mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt''

then just use cp(1) to copy file from the floppy (/mnt) to the HD.
Don't forget to ``umount /mnt'' before removing the floppy.

> 2)  What is the syntax for mounting a dos partition?  I've tried
> mount_msdos but am generating only stderr...I would also like to mount
> an ext2 floppy...if possible.

Mount DOS HD partitions as for floppy but replace ``fd0'' with the
correct device, something like ``wd0s1a''

> 3)  Finally: I need to get my UUCP conf files happy with an
> internal modem (com4 so it would be /dev/cuaa3...)  Of course I get
> the `device not configured' complaint from cu...anyone able to point
> me to a relevant HOWTO or URL?  I'm assuming I need to mkdev as sio3
> is not found on boot diagnostics...

sio[23] are just disabled in the GENERIC kernel. ``-c'' at the boot
prompt, then ``visual'' at the config prompt, <TAB> to the lower pane,
expand the tree and enable sio[23], quit & save changes.

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com