Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:14:05 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        bush doctor <dervish@bantu.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the advantages of ELF kernels?

bush doctor wrote:

> That's ok, My boss, my coworker and myself make up the systems programming staff,
> so we're not afraid of tech talk.  So does having an ELF kernel provide better
> support for elf shared libraries and elf binaries because it's elf also?

I might be misleading here, but I'd think the Number One reason for
changing to Elf is the lack of availability of binutils for a.out.
Support for a.out has been abandoned in binutils (gcc tools). So, it
seriously impacted on FreeBSD's ability to upgrade the compiler
toolchain.

As for the specifics on how elf is so much better than a.out, I
usually heard most arguments coming from Terry. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.