Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:30:54 -0800
From:      Tristan Savatier <tristan@mpegtv.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@chen.ml.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MpegTV volume control problem

Luoqi Chen wrote:

> I'm having trouble adjusting volume while mtv is playing. No matter what
> value I set the volume to (either using mtv's volume control or using
> /usr/sbin/mixer), mtv immediately sets it back to 5:0. I had to remove
> the mixer node from /dev in order to hear the audio. I tried both Luigi's
> pcm driver and the old driver, same result. Did anybody else have the same
> experience? Is this a mpegtv bug or a problem with our system (either
> the sound driver or the linux emulation layer)?
>
> -lq

it is not an mpegtv bug: volume control works well with all
the native linux versions
(linux-x86-libc5, linux-x86-glibc, linux-alpha...).

note that after setting the volume, the player
asks (every second or so) the current
volume settings to the mixer with the OSS
ioctl call MIXER_READ(SOUND_MIXER_VOLUME)
or MIXER_READ(SOUND_MIXER_PCM).

the player does that in order to reflect the current
volume setting, in case they are changed by some other source.

If those ioctl do not work properly, mtv would behave
exactly has you describe.

-t