Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:00:18 +0000
From:      G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.5 base64 encoding problem

Mark Ovens wrote:

> G wrote:
> >
> This is the header from your message as I received it. It looks fine
> in Communicator 4.5 on SunOS 4.1.3_U1:

<snip>

> DAA03910

> hub.freebsd.org has converted it from base64 to 8bit.

Yes, I have spotted this also.  If I send it internally, then our server
performs the same conversion.

> > ICB0aGV5IGNvc3Qgd2VsbCBvdmVyIHRoYXQgdG8NCj4gICAgICAgICBtYWtlLg0KPg0KPiBP
>
> That looks like base64

*grin* I'll take your word for it.  Ah, here's the bit were our servers
does that conversion (when someone *receives* a message from me
internally).

> > JAA11067
> >
> The settings I'm using here (for this reply) are:
>
> Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Messages
>
> in the bottom pane I've selected Quoted Printable for 8-bit messages.

this is what I usually have

> and in
>
> Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Formatting
>
> I'm using "Use plain text to compose" and "Convert to plain text" for
> HTML (the latter probably has no effect for me as I'm not composing in
> HTML.

*nods*

> I think that if you compose in HTML it is sent as 8bit, which means it
> must be encoded (with base64). Some (most?) Unix mailers can't handle
> this, they expect uuencode.

Well, I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference if its is
converted to plain text anyway, but I've set mine the same as yours for
this message anyhow.

> Does any of this help?

*grin* Well, hopefully we'll find out when this message hits this list.

Many thanks for your reply, anyhow.

Best wishes

G.
> --
  Geraint Howell, Department of Computer Science, University of Wales
Swansea,
  Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP. UK. Tel:(+44)1792 295 651
  Fax:(+44)1792 295 708  E-mail: g.s.j.howell[at]swansea.ac.uk
  "The geeks shall inherit the Earth"