Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:14:40 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.5 base64 encoding problem

G wrote:

> Well, I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference if its is
> converted to plain text anyway, but I've set mine the same as yours for
> this message anyhow.

This is how the header of your message appeared:

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:00:18 +0000
From: G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
To: Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Note the charset is now "us-ascii" and there is no
"Content-Transfer-Encoding". Curious, the header of the message sent
from my FreeBSD system still had the "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
7-bit" field.

I think that HTML composed messages are assumed to be 8-bit, even when
they omly contain 7-bit chars.

> > Does any of this help?
>
> *grin* Well, hopefully we'll find out when this message hits this list.
>

>From my experience, many of the replies will be along the lines of
"....get yourself a proper mailer...." ;-)