Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 14:38:06 +0000
From:      G <G.S.J.Howell@swansea.ac.uk>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.5 base64 encoding problem

Mark Ovens wrote:

> G wrote:
> >

> > Well, I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference if its is
> > converted to plain text anyway, but I've set mine the same as yours for

> Note the charset is now "us-ascii" and there is no
> "Content-Transfer-Encoding". Curious, the header of the message sent
> from my FreeBSD system still had the "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> 7-bit" field.
>
> I think that HTML composed messages are assumed to be 8-bit, even when
> they omly contain 7-bit chars.

How wrong I was, eh?  It appears that you are correct.  Its weird, 'cos
I always used to use the HTML composer in Netscape 4.05 - its only
because it makes a slightly better job of quoting messages that you're
replying to.

Oh well, I'll struggle through some how.  *grin*

> >From my experience, many of the replies will be along the lines of
> "....get yourself a proper mailer...." ;-)

Mercifully, I haven't had any of them, yet.  Phew.  ;o}

Many thanks Mark.  You're help is very much appreciated.

Best wishes

G.

--
  Geraint Howell, Department of Computer Science, University of Wales
Swansea,