Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:58:50 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem Detecting IDE CDROM in 3.1-Stable

Mark Conway Wirt wrote:

> I have a problem/question that hopefully will have an easy resolution.
>
> The machine in question is running 3.1-stable, and it is not seeing
> my IDE CDROM.  The CDROM is configured as the slave on the primary
> channel, and the kernel is seeing the IDE controller:
>
>   Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
>   chip0: <Intel 82443BX host to PCI bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.0.0
>   chip1: <Intel 82443BX host to AGP bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.1.0
>   chip2: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.7.0
>   ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX4 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.7.1
>
> (this is the only IDE device by the way).
>
> I have the kernel configured for IDE CDROMs are far as I can tell:
>
>   options               ATAPI
>   options               ATAPI_STATIC
>   device                acd0
>
> but it's not being seen on bootup.  That's not surprising, though,
> as the "IDE" controller (wdc0) isn't being seen either.  I've tried
> configuring the kernel wdc0 many ways, including with 0x2000 set in the
> flags to try to force the probing, but to no avail.
>
> I imagine that I'm doing something silly...
>
> Thanks in advance!

This really is a questions geared towards -questions, so I removed the
crosspost.

Are you sure you've enabled your IDE controller in BIOS?  If your
IDE-CDROM is your only IDE device it may have been turned off.  Also
check to make sure it is probed by BIOS, and try moving it to primay
master.

--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu

"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything."
	-- A. L.