Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 07:43:42 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/sysutils/mergemaster/patches patch-aa

Mark Murray wrote:

> Studded wrote:
> >       Please remove this patch asap. This change is something that I
> > specifically don't want to do since mergemaster touchs a lot of highly
> > sensitive files and I really don't want to trust /usr/local/bin,
> > especially for something as trivial as the pager. I am working on a
> > mergemaster update that will have a better solution to this problem
> > which should be available soon.
>
> I dunno - PAGER=less is a very common setting

	Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. telnet'ing to a
machine as root is common too, and freebsd comes with that ability
switched off.

> and this app breaks it.

	My application doesn't break your PAGER variable. If you fail to put
the complete path to less in your PAGER variable, it fails to work.
That's very different.

	Adding /usr/local/bin to the path in my application decreases its level
of security, something I'm not willing to do with something like this,
especially given that its run by root. I wasn't feeling well this
weekend or I'd already have it done. I fully expect to have an update
ready before the ports freeze. Therefore I renew my request to have this
patch removed.

Thanks,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"