Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:58:41 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, kip@lyris.com, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

Matthew Hunt wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 01:59:48PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
>
> >       I think he was suggesting that the apps close the connection if they
> > receive no data from some amount of time. (Isn't this common sense?)
>
> No, I frequently keep telnet/ssh connections idle for long periods,
> and have no particular desire for them to close on me.

They don't close on you because keepalive would succeed. It would
only drop your connection after the keepalive times out when you become
unreachable by IP.

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch