Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 15:52:36 -0400
From:      David <david32@home.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need short unix program

 try this.. work with the code a bit. it worked on HP-UX on saving
output data under date/time filenames

here is how I did it:

tmp=`date +%Y%m%d`
mv report.txt newname.$tmp

       help me!

i want to make a program which allow to copy a file:

/usr/myname/webcamera.jpg

to a file:

/usr/myname/mydirectory/current_date.jpg

AT EVERY 10 SECONDS.

The current_date string must include HH/MM/.ss because I want to make an
archive directory /usr/myname/mydirectory/ with photos taken every 10
seconds at the 11 August Solar Eclipse with a webcamera on our Unix
FreeBSD 3.1 server. The webcamera produces a webcamera.jpg file EVERY
TIME
WITH THE SAME NAME: webcamera.jpg AND OVERWRITE IT. I WANT TO SAVE THESE
pictues/FILES WITH NEW NAME: current_date.jpg but I don't know how to
extract a strig from the date command.

please help.

#!/bin/sh