Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:15:41 +0400
From:      Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   My bootloader

I've already send my message to <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>. And
received answer:

>         Re: New boot loader
>    Date:
>         Tue, 31 Aug 1999 02:28:15 +0000 (GMT)
>   From:
>         Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
>      To:
>         Andrey Simonenko <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
>      CC:
>         freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>You should post a message to hackers@freebsd.org giving a URL to
>he work done (tar.gz) explaining what you have done and, make sure
>that it is accompanied by a description of the license you are
>distributing it under.  (BSD right? :) )
>
>-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
>Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer
>   - http://www.wintelcom.net/ [bright@wintelcom.net]
>

>On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Andrey Simonenko wrote:
>
>> I developed boot loader which is more powerfull and looks better than

>> boot loader BOOTEASY v1.7, which is usually installed with FreeBSD
>> release. I would like to send it to FreeBSD, but haven't found
>> appropriate address where to send it. Please tell me where I should
send
>> my software, where you can analyze it.

I post message to hackers@freebsd.org, and some people said that they
like my boot loader, also they said me what features should I add to it.
Now
bootloader (version 1.1), which I developed for myself, has all features
of bootloaders which are included in 'tools' directory in FreeBSD
release. But there is one disadvantage - it's takes more than one
sector. Is it really disadvantage? I don't know, because my install
program check partition table (more information in README file in
uuencoded message posted in comp.freebsd.hackers by me). My bootloader
has more userfriendly interface, shows all partitions at once, shows
partition names in human language, an so on.

So, I decided to send it to FreeBSD team (or something like this).
Address
which Alfred Perlstein gave me really is gate to newsgroup (I didn't
know it). Because message with uuencoded program, especially which
should be run under DOS (with root rights :), is strange and user has
risc to lose all information on hard disk, and only some people will run
it (who knows who am I?). So, please give me address where I can
download my bootloader, where sombody from FreeBSD team (or somebody who
is interested in bootloaders in FreeBSD) can analyze it. I havn't
opportunity to
make my own web site (legal not free), where you can read more about my
development (I haven't time to create own home page). So I ask you to
give me more concrete address.

Thax. Exuse me if I take a lot of your time.

******************** Some lines from README file
**************************
-
1----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What is UNILOAD?
A: UNILOAD (UNIversal LOADer) is a program, which allows to boot OS from

 any partition from any of 4 hard disk. It is a replacement for the
 ordinary master boot record.
-
3----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: You said that UNILOAD takes more than one sector on hard disk. So,
 it uses MBR and some sectors. Does it damage my information?
A: Usually first partition on hard disk begin from track 0 head 1 sector
1
 and some sectors from track 0 head 0 sector 1 to track 0 head 1 sector
1
 are free. That's why it doesn't damage your information.
-
5----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How can I be sure that UNILOAD didn't damage my information?
A: When you run UNILOAD install program it will check your partition
 table and inform you about problems.
-
6----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What does it look like?
A: On my computer it looks like:

 Booted from hdd0:

 >00:  DOS 16-bit >=32<
  02:  Linux native
  03:  BSD/386

 Command [press m for help]: _

 String >...< really is highlighted bar. I can choose partition by
 arrows and make bootstrap by pressing <Enter> button. Also it's
possible
 to press <m> and view additional options.
-
7----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I have got 2 (3, 4) hard disks. Is it possible to boot OS from second

 (third, fourth) disk?
A: Yes. UNILOAD automatically detects all hard disks on you computer.
You
 can boot from any partition from any of 4 hard disks. First digit in
 string shows number of hard disk, second digit represents number of
 partition on that disk.

Q: Can the author give any warranty? Can I give UNILOAD to somebody?
A: No, I can't give you any warranty. You should not pay any money for
 this version of UNILOAD. With UNILOAD binary and install program you
 should received sources. If you has sources you can analyze them and
 recompile, so you know what you use.

 You can copy and distribute this software while original copyright
 messages are present, provided that sources are included.

        ** REMEMBER THAT YOU USE UNILOAD ON YOUR OWN RISC **