Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:38:55 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Cc:        cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, John@reed.wattle.id.au, Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern uipc_mbuf.c

In message <200209210954.TAA28569@avalon.reed.wattle.id.au>, Darren Reed writes
:
>In some email I received from Poul-Henning Kamp, sie wrote:
>> Darren,
>>
>> You don't seem to understand that this function is (should only be)
>> used in cases where m_pkthdr.len cannot be used and that the only
>> possible way to find the length in those cases is to traverse the
>> chain.
>
>So, explain to me why you've patched code to use m_length() in all
>those places where m_pkthdr.len can be used and walking the chain
>is a last-resort with no tail pointer is required.

I patched only code which walked the mbuf chain locally, and I
patched it only to use m_length() in order to not even have to deal
with trying to unravel the specific pitt-falls of the local
environment.

If nothing else you should thank me for making it easier for you
to grep out the future victims of your crusade.

>> If you feel it is important to be able to use m_pkthdr.len in all
>> cases, feel free to change the code which calls m_length() to be
>> able to do this instead of calling m_length().
>
>I think it should not use m_length() at all if you don't want to
>rename m_length() or fix it so it works quicker for the most common
>case.

As I said, and you for got to quote: "Please keep me out of the loop".

>That said, would anyone object to me adding the macro below to FreeBSD
>in sys/mbuf.h ?  It's a tad gross because of the local variables :/

Yes, I would very much object to that, it is butt-ugly, there is
no performance need for this to be inlined, and your entire interest
in this seems to be more about ego-restoration than about code
readability or quality.

Please Darren, go do something worthwhile rather than waste our time.