Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:56:09 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Brian S. Dean" <bsd@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/net rcmd.c

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200003162258.OAA96794@freefall.freebsd.org> "Brian S. Dean" writes:
> : bsd         2000/03/16 14:58:35 PST
> :
> :   Modified files:
> :     lib/libc/net         rcmd.c
> :   Log:
> :   Slight adjustment to __ivaliduser() - don't ignore the last line in
> :   the .rhosts file just because there is no ending linefeed.
>
> I think that we should ignore the last line w/o a \n.  This will make
> it harder to splat text into the .rhosts file from some "egg" or other
> security things.

	If we're going to do that, can we add a line to the end of the skel
files that describes this, and points the user to the appropriately
worded man page entry. Users not familiar with unix would never know to
expect this behavior, and most unix utilities are moving away from
depending on it. Not to mention that the current .rhosts skel file
doesn't have a newline at the end.
(Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, it just needs to be
documented.)

Doug
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"