Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:33:12 -0700
From:      "Skip Hansen" <shansen@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: oversized floppies for picobsd?

> Hi,
>    yes you are right that oversize floppies do burn out faster but they do work
> for some time and well use superformat or the mformat of format or whatever
> command then to format the way you want. Then use syslinux or equivalent to
> boot the floppy and use picobsd as the system. That is the way i would have
> liked to have done it. Then again i tried after getting used to LRP. Where as
> well am offering suggestions here that may or may not work but are worth the
> try IMHO.
> 				Best Regards,
> 				fred

It's not that they burned out faster, at least for me they never worked in the
first place. I'm not sure how many extra capacity formats are running around,
but the format that bite me tried to use 83 cylinders on a drive designed for
80 cylinders.  The head on my drive simply hit the stop mechanically and
stopped moving after cylinder 82.

I wasted a Saturday trying to get fireplug to boot.  I eventually succeeded by
recompiling the kernel without the floating point emulator which reduced the
size just enough to avoid cylinder 83.

I'm sure it's true that "most" drives support the format, but with my luck
100% of the two drives (one brand new) I tried didn't.

All of my experience with PicoBSD has been with the version that came with
FreeBSD 3.2, in those days it fit easily.

I couldn't agree more with building a boot disk on a CDrom ... that's the
ticket.

Skip