Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:53:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI.  (several times faster on IDE)

David Gilbert wrote:

> I have a PIII/450 with a venerable Adaptec 2940UW and a Quantum 9G
> SCSI disk.
>
> Recenly, I was generating many crash dumps and was using a serial
> console (so I was watching them).  I came to a point in my debugging
> where I needed another PCI slot, so I removed the 2940 and loaded an
> IDE drive with the same build of FreeBSD.
>
> I then noticed that the IDE would crashdump somewhere around 10 times
> faster than the SCSI disk.
>
> Why?  Can the SCSI speed be improved?

It depends on what 2940 and what IDE drive you are talking about. I
have a Maxtor UDMA66 that is 20MB/s faster in some situations than my
2940uw with an older IBM drive probably comparable to your Quantum.
The IBM benchmark peaks at 8MB/s and has a smaller cache. The random
performance of the IBM is many times the Maxtor (10x at least);
however, on sequential read/writes the Maxtor really shines. I think
that a dump would be comparable to my sequential write situation. It
was explained to me that the scsi can schedule random read/writes and
the IDE can't. A server needs random read/writes and uses the scsi to
its benefit. One of these new lvd controllers and drives (80+MB/s min)
would do wonders to your performance during the dump.

Kent

> Dave.
>
> --

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html