Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:23:09 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /tmp on a ramdisk?

Adam wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >Ted Sikora wrote:
> >>
> >> A while ago several people suggested using /tmp on a ramdisk along with
> >> softupdates. Right now I am running several production servers with
> >> 4.1-STABLE with softupdates. I'm really happy with the performance. What
> >> benefits would I realize using /tmp on a ramdisk?
> >
> >       CW on this is varied, but the current trend is that /tmp on a md is just a
> >waste of ram, since (basically) everything in /tmp is in ram twice.
> >
> >Doug
>
> I thought that was MFS only and that MD took care of that issue?

	You're about the 4th person to say that, but so far no one has said how
they are different. How does MD solve the problem of the stuff on its
filesystem being in memory once (on the memory disk) and again in cache?

	I certainly don't mind being proved wrong on this, since I don't use ram
disks myself, but it would be nice to have some details. :)

Doug