Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:25:01 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: can't install ports packages

John Turner wrote:

> Hello -
>
> I'm trying to install the UC-Davis snmp daemon, which is in
> /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp.
>
> I updated the net ports earlier today with cvsup.
>
> When I goto the /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp directory and use the "make"
> command, the filename is missing from the FTP instructions:
>
> host2# make
>  >> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>  >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/.
> fetch: .tar.gz: cannot get remote modification time
> fetch: ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/.tar.gz: FTP error:
> fetch: File name not allowed
>  >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/ucd-snmp/.
>
> it then cycles through all of the FTP sites basically loooking for .tar.gz
> instead of package-name.tar.gz.  Also, when I enter "make clean" I get:
>
> host2# make clean
> ===>  Cleaning for
> ===>  Cleaning for
> ===>  Cleaning for make-3.79.1
> ===>  Cleaning for
> ===>  Cleaning for
> ===>  Cleaning for
>
> again, no filenames.
>
> I'm not very familiar with the ports system.  Is this something easily
> fixed by modifying the makefile?  If so, can someone nudge me in the right
> direction?  I looked at /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp/Makefile, but I didn't
> notice anything glaringly amiss.  Or is this a problem in the package itself?

It looks like you have the old 3.x series bsd.ports.mk files.  I think
there is a package (maybe even a port) that updates these files.  The
better solution might be to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.1 to get the updated
port makefiles and environment.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org