Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:43:24 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping issues with groff(1)

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 06:17:52PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > >
> > > The attached patches (p4 and p5) try to solve this bootstrapping
> > > problem with groff(1).  I have lightly tested this on my -stable
> > > box, and would appreciate a feedback on them.
> >
> > Do not remove the USRDIRS and INCDIRS and replace it with mtree (ie make
> > hierarchy). There's no need to duplicate the complete hierarchy inthe
> > object tree. Also, mtree fiddles with ownership and mods, which is not
> > appropriate when building.
> >
> The -U flag to mtree(8) could be eliminated for this case...

According to the manpage, if you remove -U it doesn't create new
directories or symlinks. At least that's how I interpret it. The whole
purpose of running mtree is the creation of directories, so it's a minor
discomfort when it doesn't do that :-)

> > Which additional directories do you need?
> >
> Everyting below /usr/share/tmac and /usr/share/groff_font:
[snip]
> The new groff(1) release is likely to provide new groff_font
> subdirectories, so we would need to update USRDIRS every time
> we upgrade groff(1).  Does it look reasonable?

If we intend to upgrade groff(1) once a week, no. If we do it once a
year, yes.

It's is a long list of directories and I prefer we do not need to sum
them up in src/Makefile.inc1. On the other hand, I also don't want to
use mtree.

This is what I'm thinking about:

1.  Determine if there's a real bootstrapping problem
2.  If there's no bootstrapping issue, goto pub :-)
3.  Add list of directories to src/Makefile.inc1
4.  Write script to parse mtree files for use in build
5.  If not possible, reconsider using mtree
6.  else, replace lists by running the script.

Thoughts?

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org