Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:52:54 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Qs: The saga continues (EC2T won't work)

On the advice of Mr. Greg Smith, I tried using one Linksys EC2T card
along with one of the 3com cards.

But I'm having the experience I had before when I tried the EC2T card:
it just plain don't work for me.

I can insert it and it seems to be successful, but as soon as I actually
try to do any i/o to the card, I get the message

ed1: device timeout

So if I put the ed1 card on the internal network connection and the ep0
card on the external connection, then my gateway can talk to the
internet fine but as soon as "ping" to the internal network I get the
timeout message and the pings all fail.

Or I can put the ed1 card on the external network and the ep0 card on
the external connection and then I can ping internally just fine but as
soon as I try to connect to the external network (since it uses DHCP), I
get the timeout message and I never even acquire a valid address.

This was why I tried switching the second card to a 3com card in the
first place:  The 3com card is the only one I've tried that I can get to
work.  (I've tried two 3com cards; both work.  Two linksys cards; both
fail.  But I can't use two 3com cards together.  This is getting very
frustrating.)

While I'm at it, perhaps another bit of advice would be available from
the group . . .
Although I can ping internally (if I use the 3com card) if I configure
static IP addresses,
I can't get the dhcpd to work properly.  I'm just saying

dhcpd ep0

in my rc.local file.  The dhcpd does seem to be running, and if I pop
out the card it complains bitterly, but my Linux box never actually sees
the address information being served up; it makes both DHCPREQUEST and
DHCPDISCOVER calls but FreeBSD never seems to answer (or at least
there's no response it can hear--I should check the logs on the FreeBSD
box to see whether it knows it got a request or not).

And of course, that familar refrain . . .  "it work on Linux!"

(But I can't get IPX tunneling to work under Linux, which is why I'm
bothering to do all this in the first place.)

Is there anything more to it?  I notice that my (working) Linux
configuration uses the command

   daemon /usr/bin/dhcpd eth1

Do I need something like this?  (It's not a command I'd heard of before,
and there's no man page for it under Linux; I can't readily check
FreeBSD--I have to boot the firewall under Linux to send mail, and I
don't have my other FreeBSD box set up enough to send & receive mail.)