Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:10:14 -7
From:      "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/make

Having trouble following the Complete FreeBSD's book's
instructions on how to install a port and run the make.

My machine doesn't have a cdrom, so I copied the files to an internal
ftp site to be able to get to the files to the Freebsd machine. I wanted
to try the mtools(mdir, etc..) so I could try to read a dos floppy. Right
now is say's command not found. Of course I've tried other
port/make's and nothing seems to work correctly. (Got to be a user
error on my part)

Ftp'ed the file named mtools-3.9.7.tgz from the cdrom to the freebsd
machine. Ran "pkg_add mtools-3.9.7.tgz" this completed without any
errors. Went to /usr/ports/emulators/mtools and ran "make"
Error comes back saying "mtools-3.9.7.tar" is not in the
/usr/ports/distfiles area....so I gzip -d the mtools-3-9.7.tgz and copied
the resulting mtools-3.9.7.tar file into the /usr/ports/distfiles
directory so make could find it and tried make again.

Same error message.

I have ver 4.2(I think)of freebsd. It doesn't connect to the internet yet
so it fails when trying to grab files from the web site.

Is there a step by step instruction sheet for installing ports and
running the make and make install that work?

Of course I'm not sure what I'd do if make install worked, does that
mean the program installed and is ready to run?

Regards,

Jim McIver