Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 03:28:36 -0300
From:      "Duwde (Fabio V. Dias)" <duwde@duwde.com.br>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd revealing too much stuff.

There is little sense to post this back, anyway I want
to make things clear.

It's really incredible how a few people can laught on something
they don't understand.

Please try to understand what I'm saying....

> This super secret place wouldn't happen to be:
No, there is no secret whatsoever, And yes, we all know that you can
read mail headers, what's the big deal ? All machines running latest
stable will show this behavior (including my own server). I never
tryed to hide anything.

> Which also happens to a be a webserver, mail server, and name server.
Nice, it seems you can run nmap.

> Well... is this a fingerprint?
NO !! YOU'RE 110% WRONG !!
Just for your information, THIS ISN'T the server above.
It's another machine, the server above isn't running Xfree, nor
Netscape.

> Mr. Kennaway was right.  It was pretty trivial to fingerprint a system on
> the net.
As you can see, you were UNABLE to fingerprint the system above, as
you've
identified the OS version using the Mail header that came from ANOTHER
machine.
*(my personal one)*, I sent trough a SSH redirect tunnel (that's why you
TOUGHT
it was coming from localhost). If it were localhost, it probabily would
be
injected directly (no localhost connectiong needed). Don't comment on
what
you can't understand.

Btw the question I started isn't when you can use any KNOWN fingerprint
technique to identify the OS, that's easy to do trough many ways, the
question is that when they added "green@FreeBSD.org 200103021" to the
SSH_VERSION, and as sshd is as server USUALLY allowed to the whole
internet,
they are allowing ANYONE to know the EXACT OpenSSH version +
Freebsd.mods
just connecting to the sshd port. Pretty easier than any known
fingerprint
method I know. (Except your wrong way to identify things, trough mails
hahah)

As someone has already stated on this list after my first post, it's
used
to IDENTIFY which SSHDs are FIXED against the latest bugs. So we're
making
life easier to possible attackers. They can EASILY know (without using
any advanced fingerprint technology) that i'm using FreeBSD, and the
exact version of SSHD i'm running (fixed one, btw). So if you server
doesn't have the new "tag", you're vulnerable. Sounds good for you ?

I don't think this is a good aproach. Nor does many people on the net
thinking about security. And no, this ISN'T security by obscurity, I
just don't like to let anyone know more than they need. If you don't
care, I don't mind.

Btw, This is my last post on this issue.
--
Fabio Vilan Dias / Duwde <duwde@duwde.com.br>
PGP key @ http://www.duwde.com.br/duwdepgp.asc